When you no longer need an SCCM Site System server, correctly retiring the server is important to maintain a clean configuration. Here’s how.
- Open Configuration Manager Console.
- Go to Administration > Site Configuration > Servers and Site System Roles.
- Highlight the Server you want to remove.
- Under Site System Roles, highlight the Role Name, right-click and select Remove Role. NOTE: You will not be able to remove Component server or Site system in this way.
- Once all site system roles have been removed, the Component server role will automatically be removed after all other site system roles are removed. There will be a delay until a scheduled cleanup task is run. You can expedite the removal by restarting the Windows service SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER on the primary site server.
- Once the Component server role is gone, right-click the server and click Delete.